THE CONTROVERSIAL BAN on open-pit mining is nearing its end after the multi-agency Mining Industry Coordinating Council (MICC) yesterday recommended its lifting and the government鈥檚 Environment chief signaled his concurrence.

鈥淚n the 28th MICC meeting held on 24 October 2017, wherein a quorum was鈥 present鈥 majority of鈥 MICC members voted to recommend a change in the policy of the DENR with regard to Department Administrative Order (DAO) 2017-10, particularly: that the DENR lift the ban on open-pit mining provided that mining laws are strictly enforced,鈥 Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) Secretary Roy A. Cimatu yesterday said in a press conference after the meeting as he read an official statement.

Asked if he concurred with the MICC鈥檚 recommendation, Mr. Cimatu — who co-chairs the council with Finance Secretary Carlos G. Dominguez III — replied: 鈥淵es.鈥

Lifting the ban would pave the way for the development of some big-ticket mining projects, including a prospective copper and gold mine in Mindanao that had previously been estimated to cost some $5.9 billion. The project site — with an area of around 10,000 hectares straddling Tampakan, South Cotabato; Columbio in Sultan Kudarat; Kiblawan in Davao del Sur; and Malungon in Sarangani — is estimated to hold 15 million tons of copper and nearly 18 million ounces of gold. Value of mine production had been estimated at $37 billion over 20 years. Development of the Tampakan project was halted after South Cotabato banned open-pit mining in mid-2010, prompting operator Glencore Plc to quit the project in 2015.

At the same time, Mr. Cimatu clarified that he would have to consult fellow Cabinet members before he issues the order to end the ban on 鈥渢he open pit method of mining for copper, gold, silver and complex ores in the country鈥 that was put in place by DAO 2017-10, signed by former Environment secretary Regina Paz L. Lopez last Apr. 27.

鈥淗opefully we can present this [draft order to the Cabinet] in the first week of November,鈥 Mr. Cimatu said when asked for a time table.

He recalled that 鈥淸d]uring a Cabinet meeting on Sept. 4, the President ordered me to look at other options aside from open-pit mining, not to allow it in watersheds and plant trees around areas which are not utilized for mining.鈥 President Rodrigo R. Duterte had said in September that he agrees with the open-pit ban ordered by Ms. Lopez, who had failed in May to secure lawmakers鈥 confirmation of her appointment to head the DENR.

Ms. Lopez, in a Facebook post on Tuesday, said open-pit mines pose 鈥渧ery high risks in tropical and archipelagic countries like the Philippines鈥 where strong typhoons are normal. 鈥淭he Philippines is not a fit and proper place for open pit mining,鈥 she said.

Sought for comment, Ronald S. Recidoro, executive director of the Chamber of Mines of the Philippines, said in a text message: 鈥淲e see the MICC recommendation as a positive development for the mining industry.鈥

鈥淥pen-pit mining is an accepted mining method that is practiced worldwide. It is proven to be safe, efficient and economical, and can be fully rehabilitated post-mining,鈥 he added.

The MICC also said in its press release yesterday that it expects to release 鈥減reliminary results鈥 of its 鈥渇act-finding and science-based鈥 review of the first batch of 26 of the country鈥檚 41 operating metal mines ordered closed or suspended in February by Ms. Lopez 鈥渋n January next year and the final report by March.鈥 — Elijah Joseph C. Tubayan, J. C. Lim and Reuters