Pangilinan media group plans joint venture with ABS-CBN

LOCAL media conglomerate MediaQuest Holdings, Inc. (MediaQuest), which operates TV5 Network, Inc., a major player in the television market, will soon establish a joint venture with ABS-CBN Corp.
鈥淭he model we are working on鈥 (is) a joint venture鈥 using the platform of TV5 as the broadcast platform of both TV5 and ABS-CBN,鈥 MediaQuest Chairman Manuel V. Pangilinan told reporters on Thursday.
鈥淲e are not acquiring ABS-CBN, we are not acquiring any shares in ABS-CBN,鈥 he noted.
In terms of equity, he said it will start at approximately 35% for ABS-CBN and 65% for MediaQuest.
ABS-CBN, a former broadcast giant, will utilize some of its assets for the partnership.
ABS-CBN was forced to stop its broadcast operations in May 2020 after former President Rodrigo R. Duterte鈥檚 allies in Congress denied its franchise renewal application.
ABS-CBN President and Chief Executive Officer Carlo L. Katigbak said during the company鈥檚 annual stockholders鈥 meeting last week that the company had yet to decide whether a new franchise aligns with its strategies and plans.
鈥淎s of today, our partnership with them is in the form of content licensing or content sharing agreements,鈥 Mr. Katigbak said of ABS-CBN鈥檚 partnership with TV5.
Hastings Holdings, Inc., a unit of PLDT Beneficial Trust Fund subsidiary MediaQuest Holdings, Inc., has a majority stake in 大象传媒 through the Philippine Star Group, which it controls. 鈥 Arjay L. Balinbin


