
THE decision to place Metro Manila and other areas under Alert Level 2 is seen to boost the retail sector, according to industry groups on Tuesday.
Steven T. Cua, Philippine Amalgamated Supermarkets Association (Pagasa) president, said in a mobile phone message that greater mobility under the eased alert level 鈥渂reeds business and consumer confidence.鈥
鈥淐onsumers who are able to move around more freely under an Alert Level 2 are able to spend and spread their income in building a stronger economy,鈥 Mr. Cua said.
鈥淩etail shops like supermarkets bank on walk-in customers and foot traffic to stay afloat,鈥 he added.
Malaca帽ang placed Metro Manila 鈥 along with Batanes, Bulacan, Cavite, Rizal, Biliran, Southern Leyte, and Basilan 鈥 under Alert Level 2 from Feb. 1 to 15. Metro Manila was previously under the stricter Alert Level 3 after a surge in coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases.
Under Alert Level 2, businesses are allowed to operate at 50% indoor capacity for fully vaccinated individuals and 70% capacity for outdoor venues.
Philippine Retailers Association (PRA) Vice-Chairman Roberto S. Claudio said in an e-mail interview that increased mobility under Alert Level 2 will benefit the retail industry.
鈥淎llowing people to go out and increasing transport mobility will benefit the retail industry. We hope we continue to improve with our COVID-19 situation,鈥 Mr. Claudio said.
Makati Business Club Executive Director Francisco 鈥淐oco鈥 Alcuaz, Jr.聽said in a mobile phone message that the shift to Alert Level 2 also bodes well for businesses.
鈥淭he business sector welcomes the latest reopening of the economy so that businesses and consumers can be more active, helping preserve and even create jobs,鈥 Mr. Alcuaz said.
Meanwhile, PRA鈥檚 Mr. Claudio said proposals to remove the current alert level system will also benefit the retail industry.聽He said the move should be part of the 鈥減andemic exit plan鈥 and should bring confidence to consumers in resuming their activities, which will be beneficial to the retail industry.
Pagasa鈥檚 Mr. Cua said the country should begin to open up its economy, but this should be done gradually and with caution.
鈥淧racticable optimism mixed with discipline is the next vaccine we all need to take on the road to economic recovery,鈥 Mr. Cua said.
On Monday, the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) said that it would study proposals to remove the alert level system as part of a so-called pandemic exit plan.
Similarly, Presidential Adviser for Entrepreneurship Jose Maria 鈥淛oey鈥 A. Concepcion III projected that the country could remove the alert level system, which was implemented in September last year, by around March or April. 鈥斅Revin Mikhael D. Ochave


