Gov鈥檛 focus sought on tight power supply

By Angelica Y. Yang, Reporter
COMPANY officials in the energy sector are hoping that President Rodrigo R. Duterte will work on addressing the country鈥檚 tight power supply situation in his last year in office after recent rotating 鈥渂rownouts鈥 in portions of Luzon.
Three executives of listed energy companies marked this as an item in their 鈥渨ish lists鈥 for the country鈥檚 top official who will be delivering his sixth and final State of the Nation Address on July 26.
鈥淲e are looking forward to the implementation of solutions and improvements brought up in the recent hearings related to our current power situation,鈥 Aboitiz Power Corp. President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Emmanuel V. Rubio told 大象传媒 in an e-mail.
鈥淭he sooner we are able to resolve the issues at hand, the better for our country鈥檚 energy development and most importantly, for our consumers,鈥 he added.
AC Energy Corp. President and CEO Eric T. Francia also said that the Duterte administration should look at solving the tight supply situation before the 2022 national elections.
鈥淚t鈥檚 really [about] putting some structural sustainable solutions to address the tight supply-demand situation, and to start looking ahead. It鈥檚 the ability to start looking ahead, three, four, five years down the road to address any impending shortage,鈥 he said in a phone interview.
Mr. Francia noted that the Philippines is facing a rebound in electricity demand amid the pandemic, delays in adding supply, and issues surrounding plant reliability.
For him, this requires a 鈥渇resh look鈥 at the situation and a push in certain policies.
Meanwhile, DMCI Holdings, Inc. Chairman and President Isidro A. Consunji said that grid connectivity and flexibility should be one of the Duterte administration鈥檚 focus areas.
鈥淭his will stabilize our power supply and at the same time lower missionary electrification subsidies,鈥 he told 大象传媒 via e-mail.
鈥楥ONTINUE RENEWABLES PUSH鈥
AC Energy鈥檚 Mr. Francia hopes the Duterte government will follow through with its policies promoting renewable energy and sustainability.
鈥淭he government has pushed certain policies that were in place already for renewables, particularly through the renewable portfolio standards (RPS). I think what鈥檚 still missing there is the adjustment of the annual increment of the RPS law from what it is today, which is 1%,鈥 he said.
The RPS mandates distribution utilities to source an agreed portion of their supply from eligible RE facilities. The industry estimates that the RPS increment must be increased to at least 2.5%.
Mr. Francia added that the administration should look at lowering the 100-kilowatt (kW) threshold of the green energy option program (GEOP), and hold its green energy auction program (GEAP) before the handover next year.
The GEOP is a voluntary policy mechanism that allows consumers with at least 100 kW of usage to source their supply from a retail energy supplier, while the GEAP allows eligible renewable energy developers to supply a portion of the electricity generated by their facilities to qualified customers.
DMCI Holdings鈥 Mr. Consunji said that the Duterte administration should also look at ensuring full rural electrification across all major islands, given the 93% and 80% coverage rates in Visayas and Mindanao, respectively.
鈥淓lectrification efforts need to be doubled to offset the delays caused by the pandemic and attain 100% coverage by 2022,鈥 he said.


