MISLATEL Consortium, the government鈥檚 declared provisional new major telco player after last week鈥檚 bidding, fired back at one of its competitors that sought to invalidate its win through a motion for reconsideration (MR) filed with the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC).
Mindanao Islamic Telephone Company, Inc. (Mislatel), the franchise holder representing the group of China Telecommunications Corp., Dennis A. Uy鈥檚 Udenna Corp. and its subsidiary Chelsea Logistics Holdings Corp., on Sunday issued a statement denying the claim of Sear Telecommunications Consortium that it has a live contract with the company.
鈥淸T]he simple fact is that Mislatel has no contract with TierOne. What Mislatel had was a terminated contract with a company called DigiPhil that was meant for small projects… Moreover, the contract was nevertheless terminated on October 5,鈥 it said.
Sear Telecommunications Consortium, led by TierOne Communications International, Inc. and former Ilocos Sur Gov. Luis C. Singson鈥檚 LCS Group of Companies (Sear-LCS-TierOne), had earlier cited Mislatel鈥檚 live contract with a member of its group, DigiPhil Technology, Inc.
The Sear consortium said in its MR that its partner DigiPhil reserves the right to Mislatel鈥檚 license as its 鈥渟ole and exclusive partner,鈥 citing exclusivity terms in their agreement.
But Mislatel distributed to reporters over the weekend a copy of the contract and a notice of termination of said contract. In the termination letter, Mislatel said it wants to end its deal with the company as its agreement doesn鈥檛 cover participation in the government鈥檚 third telco bidding.
鈥淸I]t was never the intention nor the purpose of Mislatel to include the bid for the third telco as part of the agreement with DigiPhil,鈥 Mislatel said in an Oct. 5 letter to the DigiPhil.
Although the signed contract stated 鈥渢he parties are… contemplating in the future to include the provision of cellular mobile telephony…,鈥 Mislatel said in its notice of contract termination the deal never mentioned participation in the third telco bidding specifically, thus to interpret 鈥渙ther authorizations鈥 in the contract as such is a 鈥渇raudulent misrepresentation.鈥
Sear-LCS-TierOne said its agreement with Mislatel 鈥渋ncluded joining the NTC鈥檚 (new major player) selection process.鈥 It is requesting the NTC to conduct a new bidding because of a 鈥渇ailure鈥 in the process brought by Mislatel鈥檚 鈥渇raudulent and obstructive practice.鈥
The Sear consortium was disqualified in last week鈥檚 auction for lack of a 鈥減articipation security鈥 worth P700 million. The bidding鈥檚 selection committee has three days to review the company鈥檚 MR.
Aside from Sear-LCS-TierOne, the selection committee is also set to review the MR of the other failed bidder, Philippine Telegraph and Telephone Corp. (PT&T), which was disqualified for lack of an NTC certification proving its 10-year experience as a telco provider in a national scale.
Should the selection committee grant any of the two group鈥檚 petitions and proceed to review their submissions, the commitments of Mislatel Consortium may be challenged, which won the bidding with 456.80 out of 500 points.
At stake for whoever will emerge successful by the end of the whole process is a certificate of public convenience and necessity (CPCN) valid for 15 years or the length of the franchise of a bidder, whichever is shorter; and radio frequency bands of 700 megahertz (MHz), 2100 MHz, 2000 MHz, 2.5 gigahertz (GHz), 3.3 GHz and 3.5 GHz.
The Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) earlier promised to have the third telco player before Christmas. — Denise A. Valdez