Grab Philippines (MyTaxi.PH) has filed last week a motion for reconsideration to the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) for the P10-million fine it received earlier this month on alleged 鈥渙vercharging.鈥
In a statement on Tuesday, July 24, the transport network company (TNC) maintained its adherence to the department order (DO) 2015-011 — which allowed a TNC to set its own fares — was in 鈥済ood faith.鈥
鈥淥n June 5, 2017, pursuant to DO 2015-011, the prevailing government issuance at the time, Grab imposed its P2.00 per minute fare to ensure that its hard-working TNVS partners would earn a decent living despite the worsening traffic conditions,鈥 it said.
It added, 鈥淕rab maintains its position that the LTFRB has no authority under existing laws and jurisprudence to declare DO 2015-011 as invalid, especially given that the LTFRB is merely an attached agency of the issuing department – the Department of Transportation.鈥
The company also insisted that the LTFRB was informed and had acknowledged the company鈥檚 fare matrix, specifically the P2-per-minute charge.
The motion for reconsideration was submitted on July 19. Schedule for its hearing is yet to be set.
The LTFRB was sought for comments on Grab鈥檚 filing but is yet to respond as of press time.
Regulators slapped a P10-million fine on Grab on July 9 and ordered it to reimburse through rebate the P2-per-minute waiting time charge it implemented from June 5, 2017 to April 19, when the charge was suspended.
Grab earlier said the suspension of the P2 per minute charge was affecting passenger difficulty to book a ride as it influences loss of driver income. — Denise A. Valdez