Home Arts & Leisure Will Smith tests public鈥檚 memory with new Bad Boys film

Will Smith tests public鈥檚 memory with new Bad Boys film

IMDB

MORE than two years after Will Smith shocked movie fans by slapping Oscars host Chris Rock on national television, the actor returned to movie theaters in a big way with Bad Boys: Ride or Die last weekend.

Ride or Die is the first real test of Smith鈥檚 commercial appeal since he blew up at the 2022 Oscars ceremony and damaged his marketability as a major star. The film is expected to open at No. 1 in US theaters. But a wide range of box office forecasts suggests Hollywood insiders aren鈥檛 sure how the moviegoing public will react to Mr. Smith鈥檚 return.

Representatives for the 55-year-old star have been to other studios in recent weeks in hopes that the film reignites Smith鈥檚 career, according to the Hollywood Reporter. A spokesperson for his talent agency declined to comment.

Responding to jokes about his wife by Mr. Rock, Mr. Smith rose from his front-row seat at the Oscars ceremony and smacked the comedian onstage before a live TV audience of millions. In the aftermath, he resigned from the Motion Picture Academy and was banned from its events for 10 years. Since then, he鈥檚 had just one film in theaters, the Apple Inc. production Emancipation, which played briefly in a limited number of locations before going online.

Ride or Die, starring Mr. Smith and Martin Lawrence, follows two Miami police officers as they investigate the suspicious death of their former captain. It鈥檚 getting decent reviews: Two thirds of critics are recommending the picture, according to Rotten Tomatoes, which aggregates reviews. Audience approval was much higher.

At a screening Thursday night in New York, attendees cheered at appropriate times. Amara Carter, a student attending, said she鈥檚 already put the slap behind her.

鈥淚 didn鈥檛 really care, like, it鈥檚 Will Smith,鈥 she said.

The film, which cost $100 million to make, is the fourth installment in the series that dates back to 1995. The most recent release, 2020鈥檚 Bad Boys for Life, is the best performer in the franchise. It opened with US sales of $62.5 million and went on to take in $426.5 million globally.

Ride or Die was expected to generate sales of about $55 million in North America over the weekend, according to forecaster Box Office Pro.

Sony Group Corp., which released the film, had said before the debut that it would be happy with anything over $30 million. On Saturday, the company upped its three-day forecast to $53 million, based on strong initial ticket sales.

There have been other factors at play. Domestic box-office revenue has been down 24% year-to-date, with major releases delivering disappointing numbers.

Shawn Robbins, an independent forecaster and founder of the Box Office Theory, is among the more optimistic.

鈥淭here鈥檚 pent-up demand for a fun action movie,鈥 Mr. Robbins said in an interview. The picture will also face little direct competition until next month, when Twisters and Deadpool & Wolverine are released, he said.

Bad Boys: Ride or Die is now showing in Philippine theaters with an MTRCB rating of R-13. 鈥 Bloomberg