Robbie Williams Istanbul concert canceled over safety concerns, singer says

ANKARA 鈥 British singer Robbie Williams said city authorities called off his upcoming Istanbul concert 鈥渋n the interests of public safety鈥 after Turkish NGOs and social media users campaigned for the event to be canceled and protested against his appearance.
The Oct. 7 concert was scheduled to take place on the second anniversary of the Hamas attack on southern Israeli communities that led to Israel鈥檚 military offensive in Gaza.
For days, Turkish social media accounts and pro-Gaza NGOs had been calling for the event to be scrapped, accusing Mr. Williams of being 鈥淶ionist.鈥
The 51-year-old singer has faced renewed scrutiny in predominantly Muslim Turkey over his family鈥檚 Jewish heritage and his 2015 performance in Israel, which drew criticism from pro-Palestinian groups.
Bubilet, the ticketing company, said it had canceled the concert at the request of the Istanbul Governor鈥檚 Office. The governor鈥檚 office was not immediately available for comment.
Mr. Williams wrote on Instagram late on Saturday that the safety of his fans 鈥渃omes first,鈥 adding he was deeply sorry for the cancellation, which he said was 鈥渂eyond our control.鈥 鈥 Reuters


