French film star Depardieu faces trial over sexual assault allegations

PARIS 鈥 French actor Gerard Depardieu faces trial on Monday over alleged sexual assaults of two women on a film set, a case placing one of the world鈥檚 best known movie stars at the heart of France鈥檚 broader reckoning over sexual violence.
A towering figure of French cinema, Mr. Depardieu has faced a growing number of in recent years. Mr. Depardieu, 76, has consistently denied any wrongdoing, and this would be the first case for which he would be standing trial.
Mr. Depardieu鈥檚 lawyer, Jeremie Assous, said the case was based on 鈥渇alse accusations鈥 against his client, adding that the movie star was expected to attend the two-day trial after an initial hearing was postponed due to his ill health.
Prosecutors say the assaults took place during the filming in 2021 of Les Volets Verts (The Green Shutters).
They accuse Mr. Depardieu of groping one of the women on the film set, pulling her towards him and trapping her with his legs before touching her waist, hips, and breasts while saying obscene words. Three people witnessed the scene, prosecutors say.
They say the second woman was groped by Mr. Depardieu on set and in the street.
The women鈥檚 identities have not been revealed.
The alleged assaults occurred while Mr. Depardieu was under formal investigation over accusations of raping a young actress in 2018. A trial has been in the case.
A lawyer for one of the women told Reuters her client was scared to come forward against Mr. Depardieu.
鈥楥INEMA GIANT鈥
鈥淭here鈥檚 a fear, because he鈥檚 a cinema giant,鈥 said Carine Durrieu-Diebolt. 鈥淚t鈥檚 a struggle between David and Goliath and they are afraid of retaliation as they all work in cinema but at a much lower level than Depardieu.鈥
The lawyer for the second plaintiff did not reply to Reuters requests for comment.
Mr. Depardieu鈥檚 trial could be the highest-profile #MeToo case to come before the courts in France, a country where the protest movement over sexual violence has struggled to gain the same traction as in the United States.
Recently, however, there have been signs this might change.
Gisele Pelicot last year after she waived her rights to anonymity during the trial of her former husband, who was convicted of drugging her and inviting dozens of men over to their home to sexually abuse her.
Then, last month, a French court found film director of sexually abusing actress Adele Haenel when she was underage.
French director and , who like Ms. Haenel has become a major voice in France鈥檚 #MeToo movement, said these trials showed some progress.
鈥淥ne of the great things that is happening is that women who are talking against very powerful men are mostly not considered crazy anymore,鈥 she told Reuters over the phone.
However, Ms. Godreche said it is still uncommon for men to speak up in the French cinema industry.
Last week, a parliamentary inquiry commission questioned several prominent actors, directors, and producers on the topic of sexual violence in cinema. Most of the men, including famous actor Jean Dujardin, requested the hearings be held behind closed doors. 鈥 Reuters


